World War 2 Military Watches

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Inaugurating this sub fora with a topic on World War 2 Military Watches.

(most information taken from the web including images)

Politics aside it was during second world war that many new technologies and techniques have been developed including in horology.

During war both Allies and Axies powers had their own military watch lines used by its forces.

Germany

Glashutte - Tutima - 17 jewel manual wind Luftwaffe Pilot chronograph

Powered by movement caliber 59 with fly back function,frosted chrome plated top/stainless steel screw [back] case (39mm), fixed lug bars, rotating bezel with departure time indication

We can see here image of Glashutte caliber 59

Hanhart WW2 Luftwaffe Pilot Watch

also another chronograph used by its forces.

Pilot Watch (Beobachtungsuhr)
manufactured by 5 independent factories
  • A. Lange & Söhne
  • Laco (Lacher & Co)
  • Stowa (Walter Storz)
  • Wempe (Chronometerwerke Hamburg)
  • IWC
according to instructions from the Imperial Air Ministry (Reichsluftfahrtministerium)

technical specifications:

- diameter of watch case: 55 mm
- case back engraved with wording FL 23883 (FL = flieger, 23 = navigation)
- watch had to have large crown in order to be used with gloves
- Second Hands Hacking movement
- Breguet balance spring for improved accurarcy
- Regulated and tested as chronometers
- Long leather strap over sleeve of pilot's jacket

There were 2 versions of the pilots watch:
  • Type A (Baumuster A) watch: manufactured from 1940 until January 1941: classic dial with numerals 1 to 11 and a triangle with two dots at 12 o'clock

• Type B (Baumuster B) manufactured from January 1941 till end of war: dial with big minute numerals from 5 to 55 and a smaller inner cirle for the hours. At 60 minutes position a triangle and a line over its top

We can find here difference between both versions:

Italy
Panerai manufactured watches for both Italian and German forces besides compasses, depth gauge and other military instruments. At the time Panerai used Rolex movements for its watches, namely caliber Rolex Cal. 618.
Panerai Kampfschwimmer

16 m depth gauge, 6152/1 Luminor watch and compass.

Japan
Japanese forces had their watches manufactured by Seikosha.
Seikosha Pilot Watch
rotating bezel bi directional for pilots to measure time

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Britain

Omega Royal Air Force Watch