TheTimeBum BOLDR Expedition 2019

T

The Time Bum

Guest
Feed from TheTimeBum.Borealis Watch Forum takes no responsibility for any of the content posted.

Singapore's BOLDR Supply Company has updated its successful Expedition line with a new line. I liked the original Rushmore when I reviewed it back in 2017, so I was keen to get my hands on the new and improved model. The Expedition has five variants, each named after famous mountains. They let me try a new 2019 Expedition Rushmore prototype for this review.

BOLDR Expedition 2019 Rushmore wrist​
The watch is packed in a small stylish box. Its instructions invite you to savor the moment you open it and then share that joy on your social media. I confess, the appeal of the unboxing video eludes me so I passed on that suggestion. It is a perfectly cool little package, but not one that is likely to see the outside of a closet once its moment of internet fame has passed.


BOLDR Expedition 2019 Rushmore package​

As before, the new Expeditions have a Swiss automatic movement, a multi-function rotating inner bezel, dual screw-down crowns, and a double-domed and AR-coated sapphire crystal, but the matte-finished blasted stainless steel case is entirely different. They have swapped the round design for a more aggressive, angular barrel shape that provides stronger wrist presence while retaining the compact proportions of the first-generation watch (40mm wide, 47mm long, 14mm thick). The external bezel is beveled and notched, but fixed in place. I prefer the new case to the original. Not that there was anything wrong with the classic round case, I just think the new one has more personality, while still fitting squarely within the confines of my 6.75" wrist.


BOLDR Expedition 2019 Rushmore ​

BOLDR makes the case back special on all their watches. This time around, it's a boot tread in a maze, in high relief and polished on a frosted background. Behind it lies a Sellita SW200-1 26-jewel, 28.8k bph, hacking and hand-winding automatic. It employs Diashock protection and will run about 38 hours without a nudge.

BOLDR Expedition 2019 Rushmore case back​

Like the first model, BOLDR has differentiated the crowns by giving the upper one a striking orange band, but on the new one, they have abandoned the knurled texture in favor of the brand's signature crown, featuring a split design with eight blunt peaks. The head on lower one is signed while the upper's is decorated with a debossed and lumed orange circle.

BOLDR Expedition 2019 Rushmore side​

The dial is remarkably similar to the first model's. It bears the same even-numbered 12-hour and odd 24-hour indexes, and an internal 60-minute bezel. Differences are subtle and include slightly angular bars, a black date disk, and the elimination of the compass markings. If found the new dial worked well with the new semi-skeleton hands that are partly white and lumed to their snipped tips, and black from the lower half back to their split tails. A black second hand with an orange and lumed paddle tip provides the finishing touch. The two-tone BGW/C3 SuperLuminova glows long and strong. It is a highly functional dial in true field watch fashion, but with enough stylized details to set it apart from the crowd.

BOLDR Expedition 2019 Rushmore  lume​

The Expedition's 20mm custom rubber strap is another eye-catching element. The olive green natural rubber wears an aggressive pattern designed to echo the track-lines of military stealth tanks. Ribs on the underside are intended to help it breathe. I can't say for certain whether it was any stealthier than any other strap but it was certainly comfortable and looked fabulous.

BOLDR Expedition 2019 Rushmore strap​

Overall, I like what BOLDR has done with the Expedition series as all of the best parts remain and the updates all constitute improvements in my book. I'd say it earns its $599 MSRP, but I like it even better at its current $499 preorder price.

For more information or to order your own, see boldrsupply.co and if you are in DC October 12-13, 2019, see more BOLDR watches at the District Time show⬩



Continue reading...

Let us know your thoughts and impressions.
 
Top