STP Watch Movement Manufacture STP1-11

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Although ETA has been cutting supplies of their movements some new contenders start to appear as it is the case of Ronda with their series 100 movement (though not available before mid 2017) and STP Watch Movement with the STP1-11 that are direct replacements of the ETA 2824-2.

The STP1-11 is available for order without long lead times which may actually present an opportunity for future usage.

They are Swiss Made as per Swiss laws and the barrel spring seems to be fully Swiss Made as can be attested by the 44 hours power reserve unlike the Asian counterparts of Hangzhou and Seagull that have 38 hours reserve.

What are your thoughts on the usage of this movement in future projects?

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Give it a go......one question, what is the price difference between STP vs Eta vs 9015
Basically prices are

ETA 2.5-3 x more

Miyota 9015 and STP about the same price but Miyota 9015 is getting harder and harder to source and they are talking on another 30% price increase in September-October.

STP seems to have good time keeping and with longer power resistance than ETA 2824-2.

SDGenius

Perfect Apprentice WIS
Wow, sounds like a win/win then!
Basically prices are

ETA 2.5-3 x more

Miyota 9015 and STP about the same price but Miyota 9015 is getting harder and harder to source and they are talking on another 30% price increase in September-October.

STP seems to have good time keeping and with longer power resistance than ETA 2824-2.

BoreaLuis

Master Apprentice WIS
I like the idea. Stick it to Miyota in their face and please all the Swiss or nothing snobs.

I have my second Manta Ray coming, my first DLC watch. I'm super pumped cus it's basically a guaranteed that I'll love it.

Since I already love my 6 year old Manta Ray

So basically I'll love the version 2 with whatever movement you use. I only care about the outside and the affordability.

TymeBandit

Apprentice WIS
I say go for it. I have no experience with the new movement but have not heard any horror stories. The more 28,800 bph players in the game, the better.

handsome rich

Apprentice WIS
The miyota rotor might be a little louder but I enjoy the whirr it produces and the only problems I have ever had with a movement were twice with a 2824. I suppose with all the movements they produce it is inevitable but none the less this is my experience. The watch snobs won't be pleased but I have no problem at all with a 9015. I wish you would give those of us with a larger wrist a few more mm's as an option

DEMO

Master Apprentice WIS
I say the STP1-11 sounds like a good choice. I'm not too familiar with this movement but everything stated in posts above makes the STP1-11 sound like a good solution.

- It is Swiss. This is a plus with many collectors
- It is a direct replacement compared to the ETA 2824-2
- Specs look good
- 44hr power reserve. Nice!
- 28,800 bph will give it a nice smooth seconds sweep.
- it is readily available at a good price without long lead times.

Maria/Carlos, it gets my vote as a great alternative for future projects.

john dozier

Apprentice WIS
I would be concerned that since they do not make their own escapements and balance assemblies but still source them from the Swatch group, supply problems may be on the horizon. Tread carefully. Regards

Mrdolip

Master Apprentice WIS
Hi Maria,
To me it sounds like a good idea!
According to what I read about this movement so far, it seems reliable.
Besides, as you mentioned, it has a better power reserve than ETA and Miyota!
Will you use it with The Bull Shark or do you keep the 9015?
Regards

I'd buy a watch with one in it. So that's a yes from me.

Really don't understand why Miyota are shooting themselves in the foot like this though.

I'd say, give them a try. If feasible,I'd recommend buying a few for evaluation, before putting them into a future model, though. I have no experience with this movement, but I've had a lot of ETA's and some Asian ETA clones. Some of my ETA's and clones have had various winding problems, and for this reason I have switched my preference to the 9015. I do like the ETA regulating mechanism, though. Lack of a credible regulating mechanism is my biggest beef with modern watch movements. I guess they figure with a watch timing machine, you can get it where you want it with a succession of trial and error adjustments!

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Maria,
To me it sounds like a good idea!
According to what I read about this movement so far, it seems reliable.
Besides, as you mentioned, it has a better power reserve than ETA and Miyota!
Will you use it with The Bull Shark or do you keep the 9015?
Regards
No, the bull shark will feature a 9015 as all current projects.

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I would be concerned that since they do not make their own escapements and balance assemblies but still source them from the Swatch group, supply problems may be on the horizon. Tread carefully. Regards
Sellita also uses Nivarox springs.

ETA is simply not able to cut currently supply for springs as per court rulings.

Also we have been discussing this with STP and they are working on a new Swiss source for the future but they want to do this in steps not leaps to keep costs and quality under control.

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say, give them a try. If feasible,I'd recommend buying a few for evaluation, before putting them into a future model, though. I have no experience with this movement, but I've had a lot of ETA's and some Asian ETA clones. Some of my ETA's and clones have had various winding problems, and for this reason I have switched my preference to the 9015. I do like the ETA regulating mechanism, though. Lack of a credible regulating mechanism is my biggest beef with modern watch movements. I guess they figure with a watch timing machine, you can get it where you want it with a succession of trial and error adjustments!
Problem with some of the ETAs you may have is that they are new old stock. The STP are factory fresh as Miyotas are and therefore better time keeping.

Unlike the Asian clones of ETA STP uses Swiss Made components as can be attested by the increased power resistance that no Chinese clone is able to provide.

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I believe Miyota has no regulating mechanism as ETA just because of cost issues nothing else.