Pre-Order Borealis Estoril 300m Automatic

ethebull

Master Apprentice WIS
Maria, It's time to feature prototype pictures on the product sales page, don't you think? They all look great, but not everyone who's interest is sparked will take the time to visit this forum. Only renders there don't do justice to this fine project.

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Maria, It's time to feature prototype pictures on the product sales page, don't you think? They all look great, but not everyone who's interest is sparked will take the time to visit this forum. Only renders there don't do justice to this fine project.
You are right but haven't had much available time for this during the last days. However photos are now available at pre-order page.

Narc'd

Perfect Apprentice WIS
I have ordered a no-date version of the Estoril and have a (stupid) question regarding the time setting.

I know that when a watch has a date you should avoid adjusting the time a couple of hours either side of midnight as this is the period when the date changing mechanism is engaged and adjusting the time in this period can possibly damage the mechanism.

If I have the no-date Estoril, can I ignore the above statement and adjust the time at any stage around midnight as there's no mechanism to damage?

OR

Does the no-date watch contain the date changing mechanism, it's just that you cannot see it as it's hidden behind the dial. In which case you can't tell whether it is midday or midnight and so should avoid changing the time around midday and midnight?

I know this may seem silly but could someone please clarify? Many thanks.

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I know that when a watch has a date you should avoid adjusting the time a couple of hours either side of midnight as this is the period when the date changing mechanism is engaged and adjusting the time in this period can possibly damage the mechanism.
It is not the time you shouldn't adjust but the date. If you set watch to position 2 where it hacks there is no problem whatsoever.

Pakz

Patriarch WIS
It is not the time you shouldn't adjust but the date. If you set watch to position 2 where it hacks there is no problem whatsoever.
Yes.
And to add to Maria's answer, it's not even the time that poses problem with watches having a date, it's only the position of the crank wheels. So basically for changing date, put the hands to 6h30 and adjust the date, then set the time and you'll never have a problem.

Sergey

Master Apprentice WIS
Based on this, I do not fully understand:
when the clock without a date, I thought the date wheel is removed.
I ordered a version without the date, not only because I think it is beautiful but also in order to avoid potential problems in service
I do not correctly understand the principle of hours without a date?

Pakz

Patriarch WIS
Based on this, I do not fully understand:
when the clock without a date, I thought the date wheel is removed.
I ordered a version without the date, not only because I think it is beautiful but also in order to avoid potential problems in service
I do not correctly understand the principle of hours without a date?
As I understand it:
- Sometimes you truly get a movement without date wheel. Then, no problem with date change (and you only have two positions for the crown: winding and time setting).
- Most times however, the models come with one regardless on whether you have a date window or not (and you have a second position, inactive, between the two already mentioned. Sometimes not easy to catch, but there). Since you don't change the date and particularly don't change the date between 21h30 and 2h30, you'll never have a problem EVEN IF you have a date wheel on the movement.

So indeed, getting a "no date" model limits greatly the chances of having a date wheel lock problem (which is endemic to the 2824-2 and other ETA, but less present on Miyota and Seiko movement, and totally absent in other brands).

Now in terms of service, when the movement gets an overhaul, the fact that it has a date wheel or not will most likely play a far smaller role in the price than who does it.

Sergey

Master Apprentice WIS
As I understand it:
- Sometimes you truly get a movement without date wheel. Then, no problem with date change (and you only have two positions for the crown: winding and time setting).
- Most times however, the models come with one regardless on whether you have a date window or not (and you have a second position, inactive, between the two already mentioned. Sometimes not easy to catch, but there). Since you don't change the date and particularly don't change the date between 21h30 and 2h30, you'll never have a problem EVEN IF you have a date wheel on the movement.

So indeed, getting a "no date" model limits greatly the chances of having a date wheel lock problem (which is endemic to the 2824-2 and other ETA, but less present on Miyota and Seiko movement, and totally absent in other brands).

Now in terms of service, when the movement gets an overhaul, the fact that it has a date wheel or not will most likely play a far smaller role in the price than who does it.
It is not in the price of services
I once broke a tooth on the wheel dates
because I made a mistake with the position of the Crown, when was putting the time and did not want to think more about it :)

Last edited:

mleok

Perfect Apprentice WIS
On a dial without a date window, there's no guarantee that the hands are properly aligned with respect to the date mechanism, so the date might not change at midnight, and as such the danger zone for using the quickset date mechanism might not be centered around midnight.

SimonN

Perfect Apprentice WIS
I know we don't 'need' any more snaps but.... Anything thing lying around Maria? Is hubby still sporting a prototype? Perhaps the odd phone snap? :)

dwg

Apprentice WIS
would it be possible to get the watch with clean black (or maybe light grey) nato? It seems to be a good quality strap, but I feel like the "bond" nato is a bit of a cliche lately.

Last edited:

Pakz

Patriarch WIS
would it be possible to get the watch with clean black (or maybe light grey) nato? It seems to be a good quality strap, but I fell like the "bond" nato is a bit of a cliche lately.
I might be totally un-representative, but indeed, as they are a bit cliché, I don't have many (actually, I think I have none of these "pre-DVD" grey/black... post DVD, people realised they actually had red thin stripes between the other colours) "Bond" natos. On the other hand I have more than a few in other colours, including black, and the historically accurate "admiralty grey" (which the Commodore Bond would have really worn should he have really existed ;) ).
So I'm rather happy with that one being a tad different.... knowing that most times I'll wear my Estoril on something else, possibly black, grey, or plain silly bright multi-coloured natos!

Still, I'm with you on "more choice is better"... but that might end up being a logistic nightmare for Maria.