Pre-Order Borealis Estoril 300m Automatic

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
This watch is to be a tribute to the original SM300 watches. If we increase lugs to 22mm then the looks of lugs and overall watch will be totally different from the original one unless diameter increases to 44mm.

Then we would have a watch looking more a Planet Ocean or the current Seamaster series something we do not want to.

A ceramic insert costs less to make but won't look the same specially as the original SM300 had an acrylic bezel insert so logic is to use sapphire insert.

Lume will be vintage color with thick layers.

Watch will be powered by a Miyota 9015, yes.

Gabe

Perfect Apprentice WIS
From what I gather from the thread, the price should be higher than sea dragon/scorpionfish? Right?

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
From what I gather from the thread, the price should be higher than sea dragon/scorpionfish? Right?
The Scorpionfish was a one time deal we had with factory as explained during pre-order process. Our margins on each Scorpionfish were almost nil and was also a way for factory to be able to put on use parts they had.

The Estoril 300m will be a top watch made of 100% custom made parts but as with all Borealis watches will be offered at a very reasonable price specially during pre-order.

We haven't yet calculated production costs as we are working out details so can't tell yet what the price will be.

CHANT

WIS
Project will be with a 41.50 version. It will be a tribute to the original with upgraded specs.
Here are my two-bits on what I would like to see on an homage to the SM300:
1. I have really skinny wrists but a 41.5 mm diameter case would work for me so long as the overall lug-to-lug dimension is kept between 48.0 and 50.0 mm.
2. Either 20 mm or 22 mm would work so long as the overall feel of the case is retained.
3. The lugs are another beautiful feature of the Seamaster that help it stands out from other divers.
4. The colour of the indices as well as the font of the 3, 6, 9 indices should be close to that of the original when the watch was new and not when the indices are faded after years of service.
5. No flat crystals, please. The original SM300s had domed acrylic crystals. See attached image of a vintage SM300 I downloaded from Google.
6. I am good with the Miyota 9015 which is a very fine calibre except for the noise rotor (minor point). It is an ideal movement to be used in a sports watch as it does not seem to be affected by vigorous physical activities as say the Seiko 7S26 or the Miyota 8200 series movements.
7. I am fine with a slightly higher price point so long the finished product is a quality piece.
8. Provide the bracelet as an option for the customers to choose over an above the rubber or NATO straps.
9. Should a bracelet be made available, please ensure that it is designed to accommodate a wide range of wrist sizes, say from 6.25 to 7.75 inches.

Would we see any prototypes by early next year? Thanks

CHANT

Attachments

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for your inputs. Most if not all are covered. We should be able to provide more details next week or after as we are working on design with factory.

Once all details are trimmed we will then be able to present renders, discuss minor adjustments and start pre-order with expected release dates (prototype and final version).

kodiak

Master Apprentice WIS
I'm interested to see how this turns out, sapphire bezel and all. No bracelet for me unless it has a micro-adjust feature. Assuming a black dial is for sure, a blue dial option would be cool (with vintage lume).

My desires for this new homage are as follows:
1.Bracelet or bracelet option, with ample removable links, and 3-4 holes on the clasp for micro adjustment. A diver's suit extension is not needed, IMO. These tend to be a complication, that causes more problems than solutions. For the guys who actually dive, include a rubber strap, or other option.
2.Modern white lume, like your husband's watch. Yellowish, or even cream colored lume is a complete no-go for me.
3.Slightly domed sapphire crystal that does not protrude near the edges, with sapphire bezel insert, if its not too shiny. The bezel insert should have minute markings, like a real dive watch. The Scorpionfish missed the mark in this area, IMO.
4.Miyota 9015 movement, with date. Preferably black numbers on a white background, like the scorpionfish. Date at 6 would be nice, too. Any watch I'll buy has to have a date.

Finally, maybe the discussion should back up and ask whether we want a vintage homage with a vintage look and materials, or a vintage homage look, with more modern size and materials. Settling this issue is necessary, IMO, to avoid a confused, inconsistent design. I vote for modern materials, including lume, sapphire rather than acrylic crystal, modern size, etc. The 41.5 mm size is OK, with me, if the width of the bezel is adjusted to keep the crystal diameter about 32 mm.

Pakz

Patriarch WIS
Sa
My desires for this new homage are as follows:
1.Bracelet or bracelet option, with ample removable links, and 3-4 holes on the clasp for micro adjustment. A diver's suit extension is not needed, IMO. These tend to be a complication, that causes more problems than solutions. For the guys who actually dive, include a rubber strap, or other option.
2.Modern white lume, like your husband's watch. Yellowish, or even cream colored lume is a complete no-go for me.
3.Slightly domed sapphire crystal that does not protrude near the edges, with sapphire bezel insert, if its not too shiny. The bezel insert should have minute markings, like a real dive watch. The Scorpionfish missed the mark in this area, IMO.
4.Miyota 9015 movement, with date. Preferably black numbers on a white background, like the scorpionfish. Date at 6 would be nice, too. Any watch I'll buy has to have a date.

Finally, maybe the discussion should back up and ask whether we want a vintage homage with a vintage look and materials, or a vintage homage look, with more modern size and materials. Settling this issue is necessary, IMO, to avoid a confused, inconsistent design. I vote for modern materials, including lume, sapphire rather than acrylic crystal, modern size, etc. The 41.5 mm size is OK, with me, if the width of the bezel is adjusted to keep the crystal diameter about 32 mm.
I'm with you on most points.
- Bracelet ? Would be nice but I can very well live without it on this type of watches... The Royal Navy version had soldered lug bars and could not be on bracelet.
- Size, 41.5mm is perfect, with short-ish lugs, that's a great size, neither too big nor too small.
- Lume, crystal ? I'm all in favour of a modern take, sapphire double dome (not too slight, but anything's better than flat) with white lume. If not white, maybe a tad yellowish like on the Seiko skx or MM300
- Bezel, needs to be with minutes markers, can be lumed and sapphire but again no "vintage colours" for the markings

It'd be great to have a modern take on the SM300 (modern take going in a different way than the PO, obviously ;))

Pakz

Patriarch WIS
Very promising...
Would it be possible to have a "point" or a "micro index" below the bezel numbers? To have a more precise timing, it'd be very neat. But maybe that would make the numbers a bit too small?

Pakz

Patriarch WIS
To me, that's better!!!
And that solves (a bit) that problem with the dial numbers that looked a bit small. By making bezel numbers smaller the ones on the dial look larger!

mikede

Master Apprentice WIS
Markers are 10% larger. What about a DLC version?
View attachment 466
Looks great! Very Interested in this watch. I know nothing about designing a watch, so excuse me if this is a stupid question, but why not just go with a 42mm diameter? Wouldn't this make thinks like the bezel and crystal standard sizes, reducing the price of the watch. Again, I am not too familiar with watch design, but I can't imagine 0.5mm in diameter (the size of the tip of a pencil lead) making a huge difference aesthetically.

How about making the indices a little thinner with more of a triangular look, like the attached image. I disagree with some of the other posters here and like the look of the ages indices.

Would also be interested in a side profile view of the watch.

Attachments

Pakz

Patriarch WIS
I'm not too much of a fan of DLC watches... Actually I only have one, titanium DLC'd.
But there might be other people who like that (well there certainly are, since we see quite a few watches in black DLC being produced ;))

And the larger dial numbers indeed look better!

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
The watch you attached has 41mm diameter even smaller than what we propose. Diameter of 41.50mm is the one from the original Seamaster 300 series back in the 1960s.

If we increase diameter to 42mm crown side will either be too balanced with opposite side or too large in comparison.

kodiak

Master Apprentice WIS
Not a big fan of DLC on this design. I understand the old version had all the bezel minute ticks, but what if you kept them thru 20 min. marker and left them off the remainder of bezel (keeping markers every 5 min.), a more modern bezel I guess. This reminds me of the Ball Skindiver (which I owned and sold) with the busy bezel.

Also still thinking about a blue dial/bezel version ;).